St. Paul’s parishioners have always been involved in the life of their community. In 1856, with no public school system in Lynchburg, the women of St. Paul’s created a program to educate underprivileged children, which continued until 1926 when it was reorganized into the Industrial School for Girls in the church neighborhood. In 1885, St. Paul’s parishioners created the Episcopal Cot Society for needy people at Memorial Hospital.
The tradition of St. Paul’s outreach programs has continued and in recent years has included ministries such as Interfaith Outreach Association, Salvation Army, College Hill Family Education Program, College Hill Neighborhood School, Churches for Urban Ministry, Free Clinic of Central Virginia, Meals on Wheels, Habitat for Humanity, Daily Bread, Boys and Girls Club of Central Virginia, L’Arche, and programs to support the United Nations Millennium Development Goals.
St. Paul’s tradition of fine music began in 1826, when a new organ, the first in Lynchburg, was installed. At the inaugural service in the present building in 1895, a vested choir, the first in the city, was introduced. The present organ is a three-manual Schantz installed in 1972 with 41 ranks and 2,239 total pipes; today our music program includes adult and youth choirs, and hand bell choirs.