What is the Episcopal Church like and what do Episcopalians believe?

The Episcopal Church is part of the Anglican Communion of Churches throughout the world. The Anglican tradition is a rich and diverse one, dating back almost 500 years. The website of the Episcopal Church is an excellent resource for learning more about the Episcopal faith.

Where should I park when I come to St. Paul’s?

Parking is free behind the church in a parking lot adjacent to the church’s north entrance, and in the large lot at 6th and Madison.


How am I expected to participate in the service?

You are encouraged to take part in any way that is comfortable for you. The best way to learn about our worship practices is to look through a copy of The Book of Common Prayer (BCP), which can typically be found in the pews of every Episcopal Church. An usher will give you a worship bulletin that will help you follow along in the service. Our hope is that you will be welcomed and given the feeling that you belong, but not pressured in any way. Take your time, ask questions, and participate more fully when you are ready.

May I take communion?

All baptized persons of whatever Christian denomination are welcome to participate in Holy Communion, the family meal of the Church. Persons who have not been baptized are invited to come forward to the altar rail and receive God’s blessing.

Are children welcome in the worship service?

Yes! Children are welcome at all St. Paul’s worship services. We value their presence, their questions, their energy, and their innate sense of God. See Children in Worship to learn more.

How can I learn more about St. Paul’s?

Check out the other parts of our website, and contact one of our clergy with any questions!

How do I add a name to the Prayer List?

The Parish Office maintains St. Paul’s Prayer List. Contact Gayle Rhodes to have a name added to the list.

How can I become a member?

If you have decided you would like to become a member, please contact Kate Albert or Gayle Rhodes. By providing the name of the church in which you were baptized and/or confirmed, St. Paul’s will submit a transfer request to your former church. If you don’t have that information, it is not a problem: we will simply add you to our membership. If you are not baptized, simply contact Kate Albert or Gayle Rhodes about the process leading to baptism.

Do I need to be re-baptized if I have already been baptized in another church?

No. Once you have been baptized with water, in the name of the Trinity, you have been received into the family of Christ (not into a particular denomination) and that act need not be repeated. This is true even if you were an infant when you were baptized. If you wish to make a public, adult affirmation of your faith, you may choose to be confirmed (if not previously) or Reaffirmation of Faith.

Can I get married at St. Paul’s?

St. Paul’s Episcopal Church honors the union of two persons in marriage with a ceremony that is both solemn and joyous. As a couple exchanges vows, they pledge to love each other in the same way that Christ loves the Church and to live in faithfulness as God is faithful to His people. If you are a St. Paul’s member or have some level of attachment to St. Paul’s and engaged or partnered and would like to explore celebrating your marriage at St. Paul’s, one of our clergy will be happy to meet with you. Call the church office, 434-845-7301, for an appointment.

What do I do if I want to have my child baptized?

Baptism is the sacramental welcoming of a person into the Church, the Body of Christ, so it is essential that at least one of a child’s parents be active in the life and ministry of this or some other parish. For further information about baptism, contact Gayle Rhodes or Kate Albert to make an appointment to speak with one of the clergy.

How do I get on the mailing list for the newsletter?

Contact Gayle Rhodes or Kate Albert and ask to be placed on the mailing list.

How can I find out about volunteer opportunities?

Check our Outreach page. Many opportunities to get involved are listed there.

How should I address the clergy?

In our tradition, ministers are all the people of the church: lay people, bishops, priests, and deacons. We are an informal place, so feel free to skip the “father/mother” nomenclature. Adults may address our clergy by their first names.

Whom do I call to make funeral arrangements?

The death of a member of the church or another family member should be reported as soon as possible to the clergy. They may be reached by calling the church office, 434-845-7301. 

How can I change my address or other contact information?

Simply contact Kate Albert or Gayle Rhodes.

How can I get a pledge card?

A pledge can be made at any time during the year by using cards available in the pews, on tables around Calvary, or by completing an online pledge card. Contact Margaret Anne Eschenroeder for more information.

How do I make a general gift to the church in memory or in honor of someone or a special occasion?

Monetary gifts may be made in honor or memory of loved ones by contacting Margaret Anne Eschenroeder or by donating online. All money given is allocated for the needs of St. Paul’s by the Memorials Committee.